This Page

has been moved to new address

Review: Scars by Cheryl Rainfield

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Written Rhapsody: Review: Scars by Cheryl Rainfield

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Review: Scars by Cheryl Rainfield

"Kendra, fifteen, hasn't felt safe since she began to recall devastating memories of childhood sexual abuse, especially because she still can't remember the most important detail-- her abuser's identity. Frightened, Kendra believes someone is always watching and following her, leaving menacing messages only she understands. If she lets her guard down even for a minute, it could cost Kendra her life. To relieve the pressure, Kendra cuts; aside from her brilliantly expressive artwork, it's her only way of coping. Since her own mother is too self-absorbed to hear her cries for help, Kendra finds support in others instead: from her therapist and her art teacher, from Sandy, the close family friend who encourages her artwork, and from Meghan, the classmate who's becoming a friend and maybe more. But the truth about Kendra's abuse is just waiting to explode, with startling unforeseen consequences. Scars is the unforgettable story of one girl's frightening path to the truth."


Holy wow. This is one of the rawest books I've ever read. I can't say how realistic this book was really since I've never dealt with harming myself like Kendra, but her emotions were so realistically written that her pain was my pain. I literally felt painful when reading about things she'd do to herself. I've personally never felt that in a book I've read to the extent that this book took it to. 

This book has a suspense element to it that definitely kept ome reading to the very end. However, I probably would've read to the end regardless because that's how much emotion Cheryl Rainfield puts into every page. I loved how little bits of memory came out slowly because it's as if I was just as paranoid as Kendra trying to figure out who it was.

Kendra had a lot to deal with at such a young age.  Her family is trying their best to understand her while still trying to save face. I hated how much her mother cared about what society thought. I understood her challenges, but I wanted to cry every time Kendra's mom turned things to herself instead.  I realized as I read, I started  feeling really protective of Kendra while reading. I know that sounds kind of ridiculous since I obviously can't control anything, but as I read I just had this urge to scream things like, "HURT HER AND DIE JERKFACE!"

I liked that this book had a few different messages in it. It didn't just deal with harming oneself, but also had themes of dealing with sexuality and other forms of abuse. I will say that the relationship in this book wasn't as developed as I would've liked, but it really wasn't the message of the book, so it didn't really hurt it.

I definitely think this is one of those books everyone should read at least once just to experience it. Be warned, it may highly likely put you in a down mood for a bit! However, it's one those books that's really just...Real. I don't know if it's life-changing, but this book definitely put a lot of things in perspective for me. I can't see anyone regretting getting and reading this story. Get it. Shout out to NetGalley and WestSide Books for providing me a copy for review.

Sidenote: I know I usually imbed things like random references into posts at times, but I came across this coincidentally on Tumblr while reading Scars. Anyways, it was just one of those perfect images at the time that I just kind of wanted to bawl my eyes out and really wanted to share it here. I'd  post it below, but it's slightly image heavy. So check it out here. 



Soundtrack: 





Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At May 31, 2012 at 10:24 AM , Blogger Sarah Elizabeth said...

Wow! This sounds like an emotional book! I've read a books about people who self-harm before, but it never ceases to amaze me how deep books like this can be. I really want to read this now and find out more about Kendra's story.
Great review x

 
At May 31, 2012 at 3:09 PM , Blogger Vegan YA Nerds said...

I got so much emotion just from the blurb, I can't imagine how reading the actual book would make me feel, but after reading your review, I want to find out. It sounds like it deals with a serious topic in a really sensitive way.

 
At May 31, 2012 at 7:26 PM , Blogger Bianca said...

This sounds like an emotional read. It is on such a serious topic so I am glad it was realistic. Thanks for the review. Also, those images you linked to were very sad but the message was great.

 
At June 1, 2012 at 9:18 AM , Blogger Kate @ Ex Libris said...

I love raw books - I need to check this out!

Kate @ Ex Libris

 
At June 2, 2012 at 11:34 PM , Blogger Pooja. S said...

This sounds like a very intense and emotional read. I'm glad it was handled realistically and I love books that are raw and real. I'll be checking this one out when I'm in the mood for a serious read. Fantastic review!

 
At June 7, 2012 at 4:14 AM , Blogger Mel@Thedailyprophecy said...

I have this book on Netgalley and I'm glad that you 'liked' it that much. As far as you can like a heavy subject like this. I'm glad that it's so raw and real, becvuse that's what a book like this needs. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this one. I will go and read it as soon as possible :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home