This Page

has been moved to new address

Book Notes: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Written Rhapsody: Book Notes: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Book Notes: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

"Meghan Chase has a secret destiny—one she could never have imagined…
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.
But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart."

As usual, I'm late to the reading of awesome books party. I've had a copy of this book staring at me on my desk for the last few weeks, and I just now got to reading it. I don't know if it's because it was overly hyped in my head, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I should clarify that I didn't think it was a bad book; I see why the series has done so well. The first book just left me wanting something more. It also took me a while to get through, but that could've been more because of me than the book.

I did love how jam packed this book was with different lore. The number of creatures in this book is insane! I also liked how Kagawa didn't try to make the fey all sparkly wonderful creatures. She always showed the good and bad with everything.

As far as characters go, Meghan didn't too much for me. I didn't dislike her, but I also didn't like her. She was just sort of there for me. I know there isn't any story without her, but she didn't make me feel any strong emotions while reading. Grim was pretty much the Cheshire Cat in my head throughout the book. I did enjoy his attitude throughout the book, but I hope he doesn't end up being a douche later on because I want to like him.

I'm still stuck on who I like more in the Puck or Ash showdown. They both have their plus points. Puck is a total snarky jerkface that makes me laugh in pretty much every scene he's in. However, Ash has that whole broody badboy image going for him that I can't help but gravitate towards. Plus you know, Puck actually wants Meghan to live so he kind of gets plus points for that.

My favorite idea in the book was how Nevernever was being destroyed because more and more people weren't believing and using more technology. Yeah, I know the idea has been done a lot previously, but the idea is so messed up that I can't help but be kind of fascinated by the idea.

Throughout reading the book, I couldn't stop thinking about how everything would look if they made it into a movie. It'd be so fantastical!(It's a word, you don't own this blog!) The company would have to give millions of dollars, but the movie would be pretty awesome.

If you're looking to be thrown into a world of fantasy and don't mind being punched in the face by a crapload of different creatures, you should definitely check this book out. The story and characters don't disappoint. I look forward to continuing the series down the line!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At November 9, 2011 at 2:54 PM , Anonymous Amanda @ Letters Inside Out said...

I LOVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEDD that there were so many diff creatures. I was all fascinated and eager to see what else would pop up. (Yes, I'm a geek. It's why you love me.)

Puck'll always win my heart. *nod* :P

 
At November 9, 2011 at 3:57 PM , Anonymous AWrittenRhapsody said...

When I first started reading I remember being like, "Robbie? I thought his name was Puck!" Yeah, he is pretty awesome.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home