This Page

has been moved to new address

Book Notes: Intertwined by Gena Showalter

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Written Rhapsody: Book Notes: Intertwined by Gena Showalter

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Book Notes: Intertwined by Gena Showalter

Intertwined (Harlequin Teen)"Most sixteen-year-olds have friends. Aden Stone has four human souls living inside him:

One can time-travel.
One can raise the dead.
One can tell the future.
And one can possess another human.
With no other family and a life spent in and out of institutions, Aden and the souls have become friends. But now they’re causing him all kinds of trouble. Like, he’ll blink and suddenly he’s a younger Aden, reliving the past. One wrong move, and he’ll change the future. Or he’ll walk past a total stranger and know how and when she’s going to die.
He’s so over it. All he wants is peace.
And then he meets a girl who quiets the voices. Well, as long as he’s near her. Why? Mary Ann Gray is his total opposite. He’s a loner; she has friends. He doesn’t care what anyone thinks; she tries to make everyone happy. And while he attracts the paranormal, she repels it. For her sake, he should stay away. But it’s too late…. Together they will enter a dark world of intrigue and danger...but not everyone will come out alive."

Who doesn't want to read about a person who has souls in their head?(Shout out to Wanderer, she's my original soul BFF). Okay, I won't lie, the hot boy on the cover caught my attention too--but really can you blame me? This book had a lot of potential and I wanted to get my creepy tiny hands all over it. Starting off with a great zombie action sequence completely hooking me to the storyline making me have my phone attached to my hands for two days to and from work while on the bus.
The story was a great read and so packed with information, it was almost tiring. We had witches, faeries, zombies, vampires, werewolves, even people who go "omnomnom" on your face! It got to a point where I just had no idea where the book was going. I just stopped trying to figure it out because there was way too much going on. It's like the author wanted to write five books and was like, "Oh hey, I'll just put everything in these three hundred pages and see where we end up." 
Now we have the characters. We had our good, our bad and our look at me; I'm so hardcore. There are a few relationships in this book and though cute, they all felt incredibly undeveloped and rushed. A lot of the storyline seemed to be written because it was convenient to the storyline, but not actually needed. 
I know it doesn't sound like it, but I did actually enjoy the story. I look forward to eventually reading the second and third one, but as a stand alone, this book was too congested. I would've preferred the book to focus on the main story of Mary-Ann and the souls, not bring in a bunch of stories and put that one on the back burner for the majority of the book. I understand the author may have wanted to set-up for further books, but I think it could've been done in a better way. 

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home