This Page

has been moved to new address

Spellcaster by Cara Lynn Shultz

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Written Rhapsody: Spellcaster by Cara Lynn Shultz

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Spellcaster by Cara Lynn Shultz

Finding your eternal soulmate - easy. Stopping a true-love-hungry evil - not so much… 

After breaking a centuries-old romantic curse, Emma Connor is (almost) glad to get back to normal problems. Although...it's not easy dealing with the jealous cliques and gossip that rule her exclusive Upper East Side prep, even for a sixteen-year-old newbie witch. Having the most-wanted boy in school as her eternal soul mate sure helps ease the pain-especially since wealthy, rocker-hot Brendan Salinger is very good at staying irresistibly close.... But something dark and hungry is using Emma and Brendan's deepest fears to reveal damaging secrets and destroy their trust in each other. And Emma's crash course in über-spells may not be enough to keep them safe…or to stop an inhuman force bent on making their unsuspected power its own.
Finally, part deux of this series has come out and we can all get our Bremma(Brendan + Emma) fixes on once again! I couldn't wait to get my tiny hands on this once it was available for request on NetGalley.

The book pretty much picks up where we left off, and this couple can't just find a little down time to relax from crazy psycho people. We meet with all the characters I've come to love (and hate) from the first book. Was Brendan as swoonlicious as last time? Uh, chyea! The relationship is in full force and they're still as cute as ever.

The book does have a slow start, but since I've grown to love the characters, it was something I was able to ignore because I wanted more. Though I enjoyed the new point of view from Angelique, I wished there was more of it. The way it was presented in the book felt sporadic since it was only two or three times. I almost wish Shultz had included all the secondary characters point of views to get a better feel for them instead of the main characters.

I appreciated how this story let the witchy elements come out to play because it was definitely lacking in the first book.  Though the writing was still witty, something about the characterization of the main characters felt a little off to me. I missed the funny quips and comebacks I loved from Emma. Also, I agree that Brendan is one hot piece of literary man candy, but hearing how every girl he came across thought so in Emma's perspective got a little old. Lastly, I really wished I wasn't told so much about the first book in this book. I understand the author needs to touch on things that happened in the first for new people, but I felt there was a little too much rehashing done through this book.

Overall the second book in this series was an enjoyable read. With a little more added magic, Shultz stays true to the feel of the series and keeps the book interesting with all the plot twists. If you're a fan of the series then it's definitely worth a read.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me a copy!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At April 18, 2012 at 4:36 PM , Blogger Lisa Mandina said...

I also liked this book, and was glad to get it from Netgalley. Check out my review and interview with the author here:
http://misclisa.blogspot.com/2012/02/spellcaster-by-cara-lynn-shultz-and.html

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home