This Page

has been moved to new address

Book Notes: Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Written Rhapsody: Book Notes: Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz

Monday, July 4, 2011

Book Notes: Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz

Spellbound (Harlequin Teen)
"Life hasn't been easy on sixteen-year-old Emma Conner, so a new start in New York may be just the change she needs. But the posh Upper East Side prep school she has to attend? Not so much. Friendly faces are few and far between, except for one that she's irresistibly drawn to—Brendan Salinger, the guy with the rock-star good looks and the richest kid in school, who might just be her very own white knight.

But even when Brendan inexplicably turns cold, Emma can't stop staring. Ever since she laid eyes on him, strange things have been happening. Streetlamps go out wherever she walks, and Emma's been having the oddest dreams: visions of herself in past lives—visions that warn her to stay away from Brendan. Or else."

I loved this book so hard. Like really, no joke. I've been wanting to read this for a while and was so ecstatic when I got my approved request from Netgalley that I did a little happy dance. There were so many characters in this that I would want to befriend. Emma, our main character, was such a strong and sarcastic character that you had to love her. I loved her reactions where she'd always had a great snarky comeback to insults. She was a personality I related to a lot because things she'd say in a joking manner are things I would say. So big shout out to Shultz for making me feel like less of a loser when laughing at "You're a..." jokes. Ashley was so cute and somewhat childlike that I understood why Emma would be so protective of her within their relationship. Angelique, the best friend, made me love her little quirks and humor. I loved her as the person who did her own thing no matter what anyone thought. Cisco, who is the other friend, made me wish there was more of him as I found him to be refreshing in a school of a lot of snooty kids. Of course I can't forget about Brendan. I seriously fell in love with him. I even chose to totally ignore the fact he was seventeen just so I could swoon over him as I read, haha. There were so many times as I read where Shultz would describe him or where he'd say something and I'd have a dorky smile on my face and get all fangirl-y. I think his lean could give McDreamy a run for his money. I don't know how Shultz's did it, but everything about him was yummy. I don't think there are a lot of books out there that can make a simple kiss sigh worthy for the reader, but this book did it multiple times. Seriously,  if I could build a machine and bring a book boy to life, it'd be Brendan.(Someone really needs to get on building this, please?)

Another aspect that worked real well for the book was the way Shultz was able to describe New York. I felt like she was able to capture what life is like in New York and it made me want to visit it even more as I read.

I also enjoyed the magical aspect and how it somewhat surrounded the story at all times, but it wasn't a main theme. Sure, there could've been a touch more to the magical aspects but I think leaving it out worked for this book.

Overall, this book was a great read and I really enjoyed it. With all of her lovable characters and creative storylines, I can't wait to see what Shultz comes out with next as she's definitely made a fan out of me.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At July 4, 2011 at 5:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to take this opportunity to just say I TOLD YOU SO. *bows*

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home