This Page

has been moved to new address

Book Notes: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Written Rhapsody: Book Notes: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Book Notes: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin


"Mara Dyer doesn't believe life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there. It can.     
                                                                                                                                             
She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed. There is.   
                                                                                                    
She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love. She's wrong."

I've read a lot of great books since starting this blog and this may be a big statement, but Mara Dyer has got to be one of my favorites. I was so wrapped up in this book that I actually forgot to write notes as I read. I knew the book was somewhat mysterious going in, but I didn't really know what to expect. Not only was this book enigmatic, it was also haunting. It's hard to explain, but all throughout the book the story has this very ominous feel to it. It's as if this book were a haunted house where I was always kept on my toes waiting for something to jump out and surprise me.

I loved how the time switched between current and past; it made the book feel like a puzzle I had to put together.  What really helped this book was the the amount of detail that went into each character. Even if the characters didn't have a big role, Michelle Hodkin still did a great job of fleshing out characters to make you connect with them. Mara, our main character, is who we follow throughout the book. Though battling through a lot of inner demons, she's wonderfully snarky and captivating. The reader is pretty much put in her shoes as she figures out what's happening to her. She's surrounded by a loving family who have their own dynamics and storyline throughout the book.

As Mara moves to a new school, we're introduced to a number of other colorful characters as they enter Mara's life. Noah freaking Shaw. I'm sure this probably isn't the first time you've heard of this book or even him so I'll spare you on ranting about how amazingly beautiful this man is. I'll also stay away from mentioning how much we need to find a way to clone him so every girl can have one for Christmas. Instead I'm going to say kudos to Hodkin once again. Why you ask? Well because I won't lie, Shaw is one hot piece of literary eye candy. However, I'm saying kudos for there being a nice build up to his character. Mara doesn't see him and fall instantly in love! We also aren't thrown into this unrealistic love story when he suddenly comes up. Hodkin actually lets the story develop with him in it, but with a pace that stays realistic to the other pieces of the story.  Also, I don't think I've ever had a book guy make me blush like a little schoolgirl just by reading about him. Shaw has this confidence about him that really makes you kind of want to just be like, "Okay Noah Shaw...Just have your way with me already!" I love when authors make two characters have great chemistry together and make you painstakingly wait for that moment they're together.

I will say that there are a few confusing parts in the book that complicate the storyline, but it wasn't anything that was too distracting for me. I think this book is a must-read that will have you addicted to the very end. With an ending that is nothing but evil torture, I can't wait to read the next book in the series.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At November 24, 2011 at 5:50 PM , Anonymous Amanda @ Letters Inside Out said...

Oooh, Noah Shaw. (enough said)

 
At November 27, 2011 at 10:06 AM , Anonymous ilovebooks1972 said...

Glad to read your review, this book is on my TBR list, and now I'm even more eager to read it!

 
At January 2, 2012 at 2:19 PM , Anonymous FABR Steph said...

I loved reading The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. Great review.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home