This Page

has been moved to new address

On a Dark Wing by Jordan Dane

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Written Rhapsody: On a Dark Wing by Jordan Dane

Thursday, January 19, 2012

On a Dark Wing by Jordan Dane

"The choices I had made led to the moment when fate took over. 

I would learn a lesson I wasn't prepared for.
And Death would be my willing teacher. 

Five years ago Abbey Chandler cheated Death. She survived a horrific car accident, but her lucky break came at the expense of her mother's life and changed everything. After she crossed paths with Death--by taking the hand of an ethereal boy made of clouds and sky--she would never be normal again. 

Now she's the target of Death's Ravens and an innocent boy's life is on the line. When Nate Holden--Abbey's secret crush--starts to climb Alaska's Denali, the Angel of Death is with him because of her. 
Abbey finds out the hard way that Death never forgets."


Alright, I really don't want to be a Debbie Downer on this book, but let's just get the negative stuff out of the way. Starting with our protagonist, Abbey. She's cute. I'm giving her a little leeway with her character because she was dealing with a death that was close to her. We all do some "cray cray" things when upset. However, her very unhealthy crush on Nate was borderline nutso. I do remember what it's like to have a crush on a guy at age fifteen or sixteen, and I'm sure I was a giggling mess, but Abbey kicks it up a notch. I honestly wouldn't have been shocked if I read that she cut a lock of Nate's hair and put it in her secret Nate Shrine. I'm all for girl power and having standards for a guy, but her devotion was pretty hardcore delusional to the point it was getting creepy to read. I actually wish Dane had given a bit more information on Abbey's struggles instead of focusing on her love of Nate. 

The overall love story in the book didn't feel all that authentic or believable for me to even have any real gushy moments over it. Sure, Nate was pretty cute and I really adore any guy who shows love for his younger siblings, but by the end I really felt his character to be pretty unnecessary. I don't want to spoil anything, but I'll just say there were a few, "Really? THAT is what you're going to suddenly do now with little explanation?" The biggest disappointment in this book was that I kept waiting for that real pivotal climax moment for a while, and though it somewhat happened, I was left pretty disappointed. 

Okay, now for the good. There were a few to this book and it's what kept me reading. The whole idea of the grim reaper wanting to feel loved was kind of heart-wrenching if you thought of it from their point of view. Death just needed a hug, I felt for him/it. My favorite scenes were probably the Denali climbing adventure. It was exciting to somewhat experience what it would be like to be in that type of environment and Dane did a great job being rather descriptive for something people would likely never experience. I also really enjoyed the connection between death and the ravens. I know ravens have always been somewhat dark, but having them included in the book gave scenes a pretty ominous feel where I was even sort of hesitant at times. 

Lastly, maybe I am a little biased in this, but I'm so appreciative of having Tanner be a physically challenged character who is just a random character in the book. I really haven't come across book characters who are in chairs who are portrayed as just "normal". I really wish it would happen more because, as a physically challenged person myself, it is an aspect I would love -- to connect with a character who experiences things without going into all the "woe is me" hardships that are normally portrayed when having a condition. Honestly, THANK YOU, JORDAN DANE for not making me feel somewhat invisible. 

I really think the story could be an amazing book with a little more development in places. I see what the author was trying to do, and I really wanted to care for some more of the characters, but just couldn't do it. I almost wish this book continued so I could find out more. It sadly just ended up making me feel incomplete after a couple of hours of devoted reading, and that isn't a feeling I like having after I read a book.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At January 19, 2012 at 6:18 PM , Anonymous Amanda @ Letters Inside Out said...

I just snorted while reading your review. True story...seriously "Death just needed a hug".

Can I give Death a hug??? :(

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home